|By Carmelo Turdo|
Just inside the park from the Harvey Parks Airport entrance are more area-specific markers, including the Blue Star Memorial, named veteran memorial benches, Sikeston Veteran WWI-Gulf War Memorial, Flags and Standards Commemorative Plaque, Sikeston Lions Club Pavilion and a memorial to Charlie Company, 1140th Engineer Battalion service in Operation Iraqi Freedom.
The military equipment displays represent those used by U.S. forces mostly after World War II. An M60 main battle tank, used from the 1960s through Desert Storm, is seen climbing a rocky hill in the park's center. The M101A1 105mm Light Howitzer is a later development of the gun brought into service during World War II. Down the walkway from the Howitzer is the F-4J Phantom II, the U.S. Navy fighter/bomber that flew off aircraft carriers during the Vietnam War. This particular jet, outfitted with two 500lb. bombs, was used by the U.S. Navy Blue Angels Flight Demonstration Squadron during the 1970s. Behind the Phantom II is a Bell HUL-1 (UH-13P) Sioux utility helicopter used aboard U.S. Navy ships. It is a relative of the Bell 47 helicopters seen on the television series, M.A.S.H. Beside the helicopter is a 6,000lb solid steel anchor that would have been used on a World War II-era destroyer. Lastly, the pavilion illustrated was named for John F. "Frank" Ferrell (1919-2007), a World War II pilot trained at Harvey Parks Airport who later served as a Scott County Deputy Sheriff, volunteer fireman, Auxiliary Police Commander, Sikeston City Councilman and Sikeston Mayor.